Monday, July 1, 2013

Lemonade

(This post should have come AFTER Cross Country. I thought I had posted this letter, but life got away from me and I didn't get it done. I am sorry!)

Sziasztok everyone,

Things are good. The families in this branch are so great and I've been loving getting to know them. Things are also still going great in my old areas. Our investigator from Níregyháza will be getting baptized this Saturday. It sounds like he is still doing great, he enjoyed church and they have been meeting with him every day to prepare him. I'm still so grateful for the miracle that that was last transfer. It will be hard not to be able to go to the baptism personally since I am on the other side of the country now, but it's not about me- it's about him making a covenant with God and I am so excited for him. 
 
This week Sister Montenegro and I are doing a "consecration week". We started today with a fast (super hard when there are pékségs on every corner). We will be SYLing (speaking only Hungarian outside of the apartment) and will be spending a lot of time finding. We still have a goal to find a family this transfer, and we're excited to devote a very solid week to that effort. Everyone says that the missionary work in the west is slow, but I know that the missionary work throughout the world is rolling forward. After the several miracles I saw last transfer, I don't see an excuse to slow my pace here. 
 
My really good friend sent me an analogy that I want to pass along. Maybe you've already heard it, but I still really love it:
It's a hot summer's day and you're sitting outside on a table with a really good friend (or stranger either works). In front of you there is a giant pitcher of lemonade that is yours and you are drinking it in front of your friend.  The friend really wants some lemonade but is too afraid to ask.  You do not offer any because you don't want to be pushy or make them feel like they have to have any. Now the lemonade represents the gospel.  Those who do not have the gospel in their lives are thirsting for it and craving it but don't know where to find it.  We have the gospel and by not sharing it, in a way, we are keeping it too ourselves for only us to benefit from. We can't assume that others do not want a taste. They are experiencing the same heat from the sun, but don't have a way to quench that thirst. Offer them a glass and your own will run-over with joy. 

Szeretlek mindig,
Curtin nővér 
 
P.S. The little details:
1. Walks - I feel like families go out for walks here a lot more than the U.S. ( and the little kids ride their little foot-pushed cars).
2. Slippers - Don't go barefoot in the house or you will freeze. A lot of people will offer you slippers to wear in the house so that you don't get a cold. 
3. Gypsy pants- I don't know if this is a fashion thing in the states too, but a lot of teenagers wear flowing-almost pajama-like pants.
4. Tip I learned at dinner last night- if you leave your fork and knife on the plate in a line, then you want more food. If you put them together at a 45 degree angle, then you are full. :)
5. Pictures: a church down the street from us and the square where we street and table sometimes. 
 
(To those asking about the changes to internet policy in our mission;
we don't know anything yet. I just think it would be cool if it happens before I go home, but it sounds like it may take a year or more for some missions so we will see). 



NOTICE: This email message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome comments, thoughts and feedback. Please keep comments respectful. Thanks :)