Friday, June 21, 2013

Back Up Plans

Sziasztok everyone,

Wow we worked hard this week. We had about 20 programs fall through, but because we had back up plans, we saw miracles. For example, when we had a program not show up on Saturday, we had about 15 minutes before we needed to be back before the next program, so we went streeting. Rejection, rejection (typical response of "don't be offended I'm in a hurry), then on our way back to the church we met a really sweet girl who spoke nearly perfect English. We talked to her about God's plan for us, she set up to meet with us the next day. Then she asked if there was something should could be thinking about to prepare her for the lesson. We asked her to spend some time on the church website. 

Yesterday we met with her. She had prepared. She spent about an hour learning about the church online. Our lesson with her was probably my favorite first lesson I've had so far on my mission. She has had trails in life, but she is so humble and ready. She has been prepared. She tries to do good with her life working to improve communities. She has also been looking for truth. When we told her about Joseph Smith, she related with him right away. When we bore testimony of the Book of Mormon and gave it to her she said "Wow, I'm excited to read this. This is a big deal. If this contains truth. Wow. Okay." After she said the closing prayer, she also took some time to just think. I feel so sure that she will find what she has been looking for. She is so sweet, she is so prepared. With transfers coming up next week, Sister Larsen and I are really hoping to be able to stay together to continue to teach her. I can hardly wait to teach her again. I feel so uplifted by her humble sincerity. She is going to experience a miracle in her life. I am so grateful to be a part of at least the beginning. 

Another really cool experience we had this week involved making a call that seemed  illogical. We had an appointment set up with a sweet lady we had found tracting. Right before we were about to head out to see her, Sister Larsen and I both felt like we should cancel and instead go finding out on the other side of the railroad tracks.  So we called up the lady to reschedule and off we went to a side of town we had never been before. Under the tracks to a completely different world. It was my favorite day tracting yet. Because of that, we have 4 new investigators and a ton of referrals. Sister Larsen and I both had an at-home kind of feeling in this very humble side of town. We had children calling to us from the fences, to come talk to their families. I loved standing in the mud behind the fences, using my voice as a doorbell- "Hállo?" and being greeted with at least kindness if not an immediate let-in. They have such a great community there. Neighbors knew where their neighbors were- whose father was in the hospital, who would be back when- who would want to talk to us... I loved it. And I can't wait to go back tomorrow. If everything goes well, we will be teaching a couple neighborhood families all together at the same time. These families need the gospel, and I really hope to help them find the joy and strength and support that can be brought because of living the gospel. 

Hope all is going well. Have a blessed week and remember to serve your neighbors and prepare for miracles. 
 
Szeretlek mindig,
Curtin Nővér
 
P.S. The little details:
1. Yes I know the river in Hungary is flooding, but only because I finally figured out the word for it. Otherwise, here in Nyíregyháza I would have no idea. But I do know the missionaries in Buda and Pest have been able to have some neat service opportunities. 
2. Unfortunately, it rained last week so we didn't get to really do much whipping. Elder Moses took his whip out for a little bit- it sounds a lot like a gunshot if cracked right. I got a picture of Elder Larson's intricately carved whip which should be attached. 
3. So instead of whipping, we had a sájt night (cheese night). We fried cheese. The least healthy thing Ive dont on my mission, but it was fun to spend time with our district.
4. CHILDREN'S DAY. It was recently childrens day, so we keep seeing all kinds of fun children's festivals and parties. Why in the world has the United States not adopted this holiday?? :) 
5. Pictures attached: My cute companion waiting for the Internet place to open and me in the reflection :), Pre-fried cheese, Elder Larsen's whip, Sister Perkins (currently serving in our district in Debrecen) preparing to enjoy some fried cheese.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome comments, thoughts and feedback. Please keep comments respectful. Thanks :)