Thursday, November 22, 2012

Happy Thanksgiving from Michelle


Sziasztok Everyone,
The weeks are so full; I don't even know where to start. Classes and investigators and TRC were all good this week. The RM we taught for TRC said he thinks we know more Hungarian in our 3 weeks here than he did 3 weeks into his mission in the field. So that's good, but we still have a long way to go.

Quick funny story- for any of you that know Elder Jeff Enslin, he's here now. He came over at lunch the other day, but I was doing SYL (Speak your Language) which means I could only speak Hungarian, so I couldn't really talk to him minus the few things my companion could translate. I've also seen Elder Cheung and Sister Rowley several times which is always good.

On another note, I have an additional calling now. I'm the coordinating sister for our branch (Sort of like the female version of a zone-leader) and it's been great to have an extra way to get to know and serve the people in my branch. It means I have a lot of meetings, but they've all been awesome. I have a service meeting today for that (I think in preparation for Thanksgiving tomorrow), so I probably won't have as much time to write letters, but I'll get out as many as I can. Thank you so much to all of you who wrote me (Laura, Grandma Erickson, Grandma Curtin, Chasy, Mom, Sister Simpson, My BYU Bishop and of course Hailey). Some of those letters answered prayers (and not just my own).
I should probably move on to more spiritual notes. After the devotionals on Tuesdays, our district gets together and shares some thoughts and reviews what we learned. Last night's was awesome. One thing I came to appreciate will be hard for me to put into words, but I'll do my best. The devotional was given by Elder Pieper and it was about agency. I thought about how we chose to come here to earth and follow God's plan. To make that choice we had to have a lot of trust in Christ, because he would have to fulfill His promise if we ever wanted to return to our Father. I trusted Him then and made the choice to come. I imagine that I was very joyful and possibly relieved and of course incredibly grateful when Christ finished his work and atoned for me and for everyone else. What he did is completely incomprehensible to me. I don't think there is a more poignant way for him to have proven himself trustworthy than fulfilling the atonement. I realized that I had complete trust in him when I chose this plan and came here, I trusted him when I chose to follow him and He is completely deserving of my trust in every aspect of my life. I don't quite know how to put that into words, but I'm just very grateful for Him and I'm grateful that I feel like I have slowly grown closer to Him every day while here.

Well tomorrow is Thanksgiving. In the morning an apostle is coming to speak to us, then we have Thanksgiving lunch, then we get to do a service project and then we get to have another "special" meeting. I'm really excited. I have a trillion things to be grateful for. I'm grateful for all of you and your support. I'm grateful for the knowledge that I have of the gospel and for the love God has for each of us. I'm grateful for all that I've learned here thus far, and I'm very grateful that I still have opportunities to learn and grow every day.
My district has a sort-of inside joke that "Every Day is Christmas"- everyday there is a gift wrapped up for us- something to learn, a way to grow, an opportunity to serve, but we still have to use our agency to "open" that gift. Occasionally it's a hard gift to open- maybe it's wrapped in chastisement, but if we chose to open the gift- accept the gifts God blesses us with every day- we have so much potential to learn and grow. I'm so grateful for my Savior.
Don't forget on thanksgiving, as you think of the things that God has given you- opportunities, family, safety, the gospel, friends.. that all of those things- all good things- come from God. We are so blessed.
I hope you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving and really enjoy all that you have. Keep unwrapping those gifts, keep improving and keep learning. That's why we chose to be here.
Szeretem Mindig,
Curtin Nővér

P.S. A huge part of the devotional yesterday was about how we need to act. (we need to be the one to open the presents), we can't just let life happen to us. And I love that because of how much I love 2 Nephi 2. If you have time. It's a great chapter to study.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome comments, thoughts and feedback. Please keep comments respectful. Thanks :)