Monday, October 15, 2012

Temples Elven and Twelve: Road Trip and a Primary Confirmation

It's been a while, but I've been out of town. Which brings me to my next 2 temples.

Temple 11 was to the Columbia River, Washington Temple. I had driven that road several times, but I have to admit- I had no idea there was a temple in the tri-city area. But after some research and help from my old roommate, we found it. My mom, grandma and aunt Danelle and I drove to Washington and on our way we made a stop at this quaint temple.
The road-trip crew (my Mom, Danelle, me, and Grandma)
My roommate (soon-to-be Sister Simpson because she leaves for her mission to DC south THIS week) came with her mom. The temple is so small that you have to make an appointment, but it worked out and we really enjoyed going. The stained glass on this temple was really cool, they had some on every wall of the Celestrial room that had the phases of the moon. I love how every temple is unique to the area, but supplies the same direction, meaning and purpose.
I also loved that my mom could go with her mom and one of her sisters and I loved that Jessica (aka Sister Simpson) and I could go together before we both left on our missions.
"Sister Simpson" and I
Just in case anyone wants to check up on her: here is her blog link- http://hermanasimpson.blogspot.com/

Everyone Together

On our way out, one of the men who had been inside stopped and talked to us. He talked to Jessica and I about our missions (and he said that he had been to Hungary and it's the only country him and his wife would want to go back to visit again).
Sadly, I forgot the family names that I still have left so hopefully I will get those done before I go, but I loved spending time in such a sacred place with both friends and family.

--
Temple 12 was to the Seattle, Washington Temple. This is actually the first temple I ever went to when I turned 12 (I just realized the coincidence in numbers there). We had just moved to Washington after my 12th birthday, so I went to do baptisms at that temple. It was wonderful to see the rest of the temple and see how regularly it was used. I also just love the feel of Washington- it's natural, diverse and beautiful.

The Seattle Temple- me, my mom and Laure
Right before we were going to go into the temple, I got a call from my grandpa telling me that my uncle wanted to fly me out to California to help him with Kai (my cousin who has autism). I wanted to see them, but I wasn't sure I could- I felt overwhelmed with everything I need to do to prepare for my mission and I was supposed to take my little brother on campus tours the days my uncle wanted me to go to California. So, since I was going to the temple I decided to just think about it while there. My mom and her best friend Laure (my friend Josh's mom) and I went to the Seattle temple. It was a great experience. I decided while there that I should go to California. Now that I'm back, I'm grateful that I went (plus everything worked out for my parents to take my brother to the campus tours). I love my family and I'm glad I got to see some of my extended family and spend time helping Kai before I left. I'm grateful that attending the temple helps make decisions easier and more peaceful for me.

Hanging out with my cute cousin Kai. Love this kid.

Now I want to go a little off-topic and back up just a tad. Right before I left for this road-trip, I also went with my ward again to the Timpanogas temple. Before going I realized I needed my own confirmation that the Book of Mormon is true. I had a testimony of it, but I need to be able to preach of it- so I needed something to confirm to me that it was. I went through the temple and didn't really notice anything apart from the ordinary peace and knowledge that the temple provides. Even sitting in the celestial room I didn't notice anything. But that's because I wasn't paying attention to the song that was stuck in my head. When I finally realized what was rotating around in my mind, I realize a couple of things. 1) God answers prayers in simple, yet profound ways and 2) The scriptures are true.

These lyrics to a primary song (which I hadn't listened to or thought about for a long time) are what, for me, was an answer to my prayers:

"The spirit will guide, and deep inside I know the scriptures are true"

It wasn't until later when I got home and googled the lyrics and figured out how the rest of the song went (apparently I need to know my primary songs better), but God's love and guidance is simple and I'm incredibly grateful for that little confirmation.

This was the best I could come up with from youtube, but hey- it is a primary song after all :)



1. I love to read the holy scriptures,
And, ev’ry time I do,
I feel the Spirit start to grow within my heart—
A testimony that they’re true.

2. So, prayerfully I’ll read the scriptures
Each day my whole life through.
I’ll come to understand.
I’ll heed the Lord’s command
And live as he would have me do.

Chorus
Search, ponder, and pray
Are the things that I must do.
The Spirit will guide, and, deep inside,
I’ll know the scriptures are true

I know the Scriptures are true.
Love Always,
Michelle

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome comments, thoughts and feedback. Please keep comments respectful. Thanks :)