Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Love the World you Find

Since I'm leaving on a mission and will not be watching movies for 18 months- my little brother and I watched just a couple "last" movies this week. I admit, this probably wasn't the ideal use of my time (one of those good, better, best things- maybe good or ever better but certainly not the best use of my time) But I also have to admit that there are quotes from all 3 of those movies that I don't mind being inspired by. They certainly aren't equal to scripture, but they're motivating quotes that if used right could help everyone be a little better. I think all could apply to serving a mission. Also, I think it's interesting how many of these quotes from completely different movies go very well together... (Be brave, use your time wisely and be inspired by the world you live in)

Movie #1 The Blind Side

Michael Oher's essay
"...I mean any fool can have courage. But honor, that's the real reason for you either do something or you don't. It's who you are and maybe who you want to be... I think that's what the writer was saying, that you should hope for courage and try for honor. And maybe even pray that the people telling you what to do have some, too."
Movie #2 (and one of my all time favorite) Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium

"Your life is an occasion. Rise to it."
"All stories, even the ones we love, must eventually come to an end and when they do, it's only an opportunity for another story to begin." 
 "No. We breathe. We pulse. We regenerate. Our hearts beat. Our minds create. Our souls ingest. 37 seconds, well used, is a lifetime."

"We must face tomorrow, whatever it may hold, with determination, joy and bravery"
 ...and one of my favorite conversations in the movie because it reminds me of a quote by President Hinckley who said "When talking about someone, including yourself, never use the word JUST"

Molly Mahoney: You're a 'just' guy.
Henry Weston: What's a 'just' guy?
Molly Mahoney: A guy just like you. Same hair, same suit, same shoes, walks around, no matter what, you think it's all just a store, it's just a bench, it's just a tree. It's just what it is, nothing more!
Henry Weston: Alright but, but this
[looks over his shoulder]
Henry Weston: is just a store.
Molly Mahoney: I'm sure to you... it is.
 
And Movie #3 (with superb taste in music) We Bought A Zoo
 
"You know, sometimes all you need is twenty seconds of insane courage. Just literally twenty seconds of just embarrassing bravery. And I promise you, something great will come of it."
 
Well there you have it, some great movie quotes. Now I think I better go use my time a little more productively....

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome comments, thoughts and feedback. Please keep comments respectful. Thanks :)