Monday, October 15, 2012

Conference Highlights

 


Conference was awesome (my little brother said that word is overused because it should only be used in awe-inspiring situations, but I think it applies here). Since I was out of town, I watched the Sunday morning in our friends basement, Sunday afternoon on my aunt's porch, and Saturday morning and afternoon in sections at my uncle's home.

Something I'm sure you're all curious to know about is- what did I think about the announcement? (That young men now can serve a mission at 18 instead of 19 and young women can serve at 19 instead of 21). Well,  my first thought was "Cool... except that now makes me an old sister missionary". But then the more I thought about it, the more inspired it felt. People have asked me things along the line of  "Are you jealous that you couldn't go at 19?" I can honestly answer that with a definite no.
There are several reasons behind that. First, I don't think I would have gone at 19 because it wasn't even on my mind at that time. Second, there are a lot of experiences that I would have missed out on if I would have left that early (such as meeting new family in Iceland or making life-long friends my sophomore year at BYU).
For me, it's inspired that I'm going now rather than earlier and rather than later. Yes, I no longer feel young :) but I'm grateful to know that the work I'm about to do is important to the Lord. As Elder Holland said last conference "it's getting late" and God needs our help.

I loved all of the rest of conference too. As soon as I got back from California, I gave a talk in my singles ward on the conference talks that impacted me the most. I will try to get that typed up and post it here later today or tomorrow.

I'm grateful for apostles and prophets, for the renewing inspiration that conference has and for modern day revelation.
Love Always,
Michelle

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome comments, thoughts and feedback. Please keep comments respectful. Thanks :)