Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Journal Entry 48: Ég Elska ICELAND

THE EVOLUTION OF A TESTIMONY: Day 48

Last year I went to Iceland for an individual internship. I still can't comprehend how everything came together so that I could go, but it did. What a blessing. I have a blog that I kept everyday while I was there- www.elskaalltaf.blogspot.com but I also have a couple entries in my journal that were more on the personal/spiritual matters. So here those are:
The awesome couple that I stayed with for my family portion (in Vik)
"Wednesday June 8, 2011
I know I said I wouldn't write again, but I leave tomorrow and want to write one more time. Tonight my dad gave me a father's blessing. It was nice. He blessed that I would have a good experience and would know what to do and who to turn to and could be an example for our family and the church... I am so grateful for the priesthood and for my dad.
Elska Alltaf (Love Always),
MichelleDCurtin"

I obviously couldn't have known then, but I did have a good experience and I did know what to do and who to turn to. 
Me on the farm in Iceland

I have 1 page from an "actual" journal in Iceland (written on graph paper) that are stapled in my journal so here is that:

"Fri, June 23rd (?)
Maybe time for a real journal. I've been keeping a blog and daily research log, but the blog is for so many people that I don't just say anything and the log is research, so same thing....
Egill (One of my distant cousins) and I playing on one of my last days
On the way to Vik today I read my scriptures and read Alma 17:11 which says (in my personalization) 'And the Lord said unto them also: Go forth among...thy brethern and establish my word: yet ye shall be patient in long-suffering and afflictions that ye may show forth good examples unto them in me and I will make an instrument of thee in my hand unto the Salvation of many souls'. That hit me pretty hard. It reminded me of a conversation that I had with Kristjan who is a member in Reykjavik when he said the prophets have told Iceland that if they pray, then the church will explode and they will have a temple. I caught myself responding 'I'll help with that'- what I mean was that I'd pray for that, but I caught myself thinking about what if I really do need to be an instrument in the Lord's hands here? I can't directly proselyte here because of my BYU internship regulations, but I can try to be a good example and allow for questions. I really do hope that I can do some good here. I already love this family and I would love for them to have the gospel. If anything, I will certainly pray for them and Iceland. Goda Nott, MichelleDCurtin"
My amazing family in Iceland. Love these people

My family and others did ask questions about why I am the way I am and other things about the church. I wish I knew more Icelandic then so I could have answered more fully. I'm not sure what they actually thought about me or the church, but I loved my time with my family in Iceland and am so grateful for the love that was there. 
Love Always!
Michelle

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome comments, thoughts and feedback. Please keep comments respectful. Thanks :)