Monday, April 23, 2012

Journal Entry 33: Everyday Missionary


As I've been reading back through my journal in preparation for a mission, I've found that I've had so many more missionary opportunities than I ever had remembered. Some of them are so very little and so very natural, but important none-the-less.
"Hey Journal,
Today is March 21 (?), 2009. 8:24 am- I FINALLY got to sleep in. It's been probably over a month since I've gotten the 'right' amount of sleep or since I haven't woken up to my alarm (because of school, seminary, church and my Eng Class on Sat. that I finished last week). I did however, wake up to a text, but that's okay- it was from Stephen- it just said 'Jacob 2:19'. Earlier this week I talked to Stephen... that eventually led to reading the Book of Mormon- doing something for himself- finding out for himself, so he asked Wendy for a Book of Mormon- she was very happy to give one to him. Now he's slowly reading. He told me Jacob was his favorite so far & I told him in my scriptures I highlighted it and wrote faith by hope and I told him to look at Alma 32:21."
Job 2:19 And after ye have obtained a hope in Christ ye shall obtain riches, if ye seek them; and ye will seek them for the intent to ado good—to clothe the naked, and to feed the hungry, and to liberate the captive, and administer relief to the sick and the afflicted. 

Alma 32:21 And now as I said concerning faith—afaith is not to have a perfect knowledge of things; therefore if ye have faith ye bhope for things which are cnot seen, which are true.
"...The missionary experiences have been good this week. I even talked to Edwardo (my boss) a little more about the church. He told me he grew up Roman Catholic... but him and his wife got married in an Episcopalian church. He asked me if Mormon was a type of Christian, I said yes. He said he doesn't consider himself part of a certain church but considers himself Christian. Then later he said he doesn't believe certain things, but he believes in Jesus Christ. I told him I did too. The thing I loved was the tone of his voice- the surety in it. It was cool to hear someone more or less bear their testimony who only knows some truth. I wish I could have talked to him more, but someone needed him in the back and I had to leave. It was still a cool experience though. It just feels great to have experiences like that that refocus your attention on Christ. Well my mom is calling me to breakfast so I better go. I'll try to write tomorrow though.
Much Love,
MichelleDCurtin"
I don't have a picture of Stephan or Edwardo unfortunately.
This picture is one of my senior pictures from this time.

I'm grateful for those who were willing to discuss religion in such civil, friendly ways. Their testimonies of life paired with the testimony I had, really brought new insight.

Love Always,
Michelle

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome comments, thoughts and feedback. Please keep comments respectful. Thanks :)