Sunday, February 5, 2012

The Poem

Wow! Has it really been that long since I wrote? It's a new semester with new roommates, but the same routine of school and work and sleep and school again.
Things have been very good. I can truly say that preparing for a mission has changed my life. I think I'm happier and have a better perspective on life. However, that isn't always easy.

I wrote a poem when I was about 12 years old that, when times get difficult, I think back upon or read. 
I've shared it with friends in the past when they were going through a difficult time, but never told them that I wrote it. I think it was mostly because I was prideful and didn't want to admit to writing a poem, but today I will share it with all of you. I don't know if it will have the same effect on you as it did on me, but if you like it, feel free to use it, copy it, share it. It's really not mine in the end anyway: the inspiration came from a chapter of scripture in Docterine & Covenants 122. 

"I and my weary trodden down heart
escaped for a moment to let emotion spill free
when a hand through the dark lifted my chin
and through a soft, silent voice said he:

these things in which ye bear are
but for experience and only for good
when the billowing surge conspired against thee
remember my daughter, it wasn't alone that ye stood

hold on thy way and never forget
that though saddened and trodden may ye be
thou hast a divine purpose to gain
and I and my Father canst never forsake thee. 

Fear not what man can do
for God will be with thee forever and today
I love thee, thou daughter of God
remember these words and be on your way. 

I knew then so deeply,
He is my brother and my friend
and that my Father loved me so,
if for me, His son He'd send. 

It may be difficult for me to bear,
but I knew that it would be
the way in which my loving God,
would prepare and humble me

Now when I feel all elements combine
to contort and hedge up my way
I'll open my eyes and lift up my chin
and remember that which He had to say"

He knows you. He knows me. He loves us. 
Love Always
Michelle

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome comments, thoughts and feedback. Please keep comments respectful. Thanks :)