Thursday, December 1, 2011

How to Succor his Children

It's been so long since I posted. School has been crazy getting ready for finals, but more than that- I was in Mexico last week. I went with my family to work on some houses in Florido- just outside of Tijuana. The house that we spent most of our time was a family who had come to the US and while they were gone, their house was COMPLETELY stripped. No doors, no windows, no toilet... not even wires! So we worked to make it livable again. 





I also helped work on another house that I helped stekko. The house was in very poor conditions, so much that they didn't even really have a workable roof over their heads. The family was very sweet though. It was a grandma and grandpa, their deaf daughter and her child. 




Working on the houses was great, but I kept trying to think of other things that these people may be in need of. It didn't help that I speak almost no Spanish, but I really wish I could have known exactly what these people needed- sometimes spiritual, emotion and physical needs are more important to a person then temporal needs. 




When I got back from Mexico and went to my New Testament class again, we were to Christ's Atonement. It would take me forever to write everything that I've learned about the atonement just this year, but one things that I do love about the atonement is written in Alma 7:11-12...


11 And he shall go forth, suffering pains and aafflictions andbtemptations of every kind; and this that the word might be fulfilled which saith he will ctake upon him the pains and the sicknesses of his people.
 12 And he will take upon him adeath, that he may bloose the bands of death which bind his people; and he will take upon him their infirmities, that his bowels may be filled with mercy, according to the flesh, that he may know according to the flesh how to csuccorhis people according to their infirmities.
... that he may know... how to succor his people! What I was lacking in Mexico was what Christ knows perfectly. He's knows exactly what people need- beyond the things that are seen. I can see that these people really needed better structure for their homes, but I couldn't see if they needed a friend, if they were struggling to know truth, or if they had some unseen sickness. But Christ does. 
 
He knows exactly how to succor his people and because he loves us so immensely, he is willing to do so.
Love Always,
Michelle 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome comments, thoughts and feedback. Please keep comments respectful. Thanks :)