Wednesday, November 2, 2011

You Are More Than You Have Become

Yesterday was a fantastic day. How could it not be when it started with the Prophet of God and a Lion King Quote?

President Thomas S. Monson came to BYU yesterday for devotional. The Marriott Center was crowded. I went early and still sat way up in the nose bleeds, because who would want to miss listening first hand to the Prophet of God?
 I said a little prayer before I left that he would say something that was particularly pertinent to me. Guess what he talked about? A whole lot of things that can be related to missionary work. He talked about how we need to share our Light of Christ and be an "example of the believers". He talked about ways to study the scriptures better. The part that everyone talked about, though, was when he quoted The Lion King.

"You are MORE than what you have become!.... REMEMBER who you are!"


We have so much potential as children of God and we should really work towards that. President Monson also talked about how when you "chose to follow Christ, you choose to be changed".

So many great things in his devotional I could talk on and on about. President Monson is a wonderful, loving, fun person and I'm so grateful for him.

The rest of my day was also amazing. Several personal experiences. I did a lot of scripture reading, trying to do, at least in part, a more sincere reading of the scriptures. What a blessing that has been already as I prepare to testify of this wonderful Book.

One personal experience I will share. As I was driving home from my family's house last night the stars where beautiful. The 3 stars in a line that point heavenwards (Orion's belt?) where so much brighter than I remember and they were literally twinkling. I had a hard time keeping my eyes on the road, because I wanted to look at them so badly. And then as I drove past the beautiful Timpenogas Temple, it became even harder to keep my eyes on the road. Then, even though it was past midnight and I really needed to get back to my apartment, I felt like I should pull over. So I did. I looked at how beautiful the temple with angel Moroni looked with the stars so vivid above it. Then I payed attention to the song that was still playing on the radio- it was "We Are" by Kari Jobe


"So wake up sleeper, lift your head
We were meant for more than this..."

"We are the light of the world
We gotta, we gotta, we gotta let the light shine..."

"We are called to the spread the newsTell the world the simple truth
Jesus came to save, there's freedom in His Name
So let it all break through"

Could any song be more fitting to me and to what the Prophet had to say today?
I find myself listening to the Christian music station regularly. Although I don't share the exact same beliefs as other Christian denominations, Mormons ARE Christian and we share a lot of core values. God uses good things like good music for great purposes.

Once again, through that song and through things that I felt and heard yesterday, I know that I need to be preparing for a mission. I know the President Thomas S. Monson is a true prophet of God and I am so grateful for so many answered prayers yesterday.

Love Always,
Michelle

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome comments, thoughts and feedback. Please keep comments respectful. Thanks :)