Sunday, November 13, 2011

Temples

When I was in Iceland, I was given a beautiful book. It wasn't beautiful because it looked nice- it's fairly plain actually, but beautiful because of what it contained. It contained my Icelandic family history. We already had a lot of the information from the genealogy already done by the church and my family members, but now this portion of my family tree was complete.

A beautiful thing about the gospel of Jesus Christ is the importance of family and the knowledge that death can not separate us. Many may wonder why the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints has so many temples. Along with other reasons, we do ordinances like baptisms for those who have passed on.


Many of my ancestor's ordinances have already been completed, but after receiving the book of genealogy when I went to Iceland, I was able to find 35 names of people who still have work to be finished.
On Friday I was able to go to the temple with my Mom and my little brother to do some of that proxy work for our relatives who have passed on. My brother did 5 baptisms and confirmations in place for 5 of the men and I was able to do 7 baptisms and confirmations for the women.
One of the names I had was a sibling to one of the boy names that my brother did. What a beautiful thing that siblings could do temple work for siblings who had passed on. Of course, they have the choice to accept or reject the gospel on the other side of the "veil" because they have their agency, but I would pray and the feelings of the temple make me believe that they would accept this beautiful work.

We talked about in my New Testament class this week how Christ has set up this wonderful temple work. The work is done so that all have the opportunity to return to live with him again. And when He comes again, this type of missionary work will continue on so that all can chose to accept fully the gospel of Jesus Christ.

It's a little bit of a different type of "missionary work" to prepare for my mission and to those who are not members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, this work may be a little confusing, but I have a testimony of genealogy and temple work and am so grateful for my ancestors and all they did so that I could be here today. I have such a great love for them.

Love Always,
Michelle

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome comments, thoughts and feedback. Please keep comments respectful. Thanks :)