Monday, October 24, 2011

The Why

So why in the world would I decide to sacrifice 18 months of my life, 18 months of my education, 18 months of seeing my family and friends... to serve a mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints? Especially since I'm a girl, and there is no pressure for me to serve?

Well, growing up I didn't think I would. I always thought it was an honorable, wonderful thing to do- but I thought I had other plans. Maybe I'd meet Mr. foreverafter and get married, maybe I'd continue to go abroad on service expeditions, maybe I'd finish school quickly and get right out into the work place.
I still thought I would have other plans, right up until about my 20th birthday...

So what changed my mind?

It started when I realized I was turning 20. My teenage years where coming to an end, and the rest of my life was in front of me. In the chuch, a girl can serve a mission when she turns 21- which meant it really wasn't that far off. It wasn't something I had originally planned on, but I decided to pray about it.
The timing worked out nicely, because it was right before general conference that I began to think about serving a mission. (General conference is a semi-annual worldwide broadcasted where we can listen directly to the Prophet- Prsident Thomas S. Monson and the apostles of God). I went to one of the sessions with a good friend of mine. Throughout conference, I felt over and over agian that I should serve a mission. Even the songs we song, felt very directed to me- like when we sang called to serve:
and several of the talks emphasized to me that a mission would be the best place for me to learn and grow and work on loving always.

but... I'm a stubborn person. I wanted to go, but not really. So I decided to pray some more. I had already set up a meeting with my bishop a few weeks earlier, so on the day of the meeting I fasted and prayed. I, in my imperfection, prayed almost reluctantly- something along the lines of "I really want to do this, and this or this and I'm not sure I reallly want to go, but if you reallly want me to I guess I will".
The other day I heard the expression "If you want to make God laugh- tell him your plans". Well apparently my plans were funny, because after meeting with my bishop (a very personal story which I don't think this is the best place for) I had- and have no doubt in my mind that I need to prepare to serve a mission.

I've always had a testimony of Jesus Christ, of the Book of Mormon and of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. However, even in the past 3ish weeks since I've made the decision to prepare- my testimony has increased tremendously.

I am incredibly grateful for this gospel and can not wait to have the opportunity to serve full time to share the love of Christ with the world (or state.. wherever I get called).

So what will I be doing? Here's an introduction that gives a good overview...


I am a very imperfect person, hoping to preach about a perfect gospel. It is a little bit terrifying, but I know it is important, so I will go and do whatever God has planned for me. Hopefully my preparation will help me become a better person as I learn and grow along the way. I know Christ loves me. And He certainly loves you too.

Love Always,
Michelle

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome comments, thoughts and feedback. Please keep comments respectful. Thanks :)